Austin, Texas is the coolest city to live in the USA – Austin originated as the riverside village of Waterloo, the fourth most significant town in the state, in a buffalo-hunting region occupied by Tonkawa and Comanche tribes. Many people wish to know the city better before actually moving here. Therefore, the purpose of this guide is for you to have a tour and feel it as you’ve experienced it yourself before you relocate to Austin, Texas.
Living in Austin, Texas:
The population of the town is ethnically varied. Less than half of its citizens are of European descent, whereas more than one-third of the people are Hispanic. This still isn’t the complete population of Austin, which renders the city extremely diverse when it comes to ethnicities. The official motto of Austin, Texas, is the “Live Music Capital of the World” already depicting how lively the city is. The unofficial slogan is “Keep Austin Weird” as a display of the uniqueness of the local community of Austin.
We love Austin! But are we okay with the traffic….?
Even though getting around the traffic can be a deal-breaker for some. On average, a resident of Austin wastes 40 hours stuck in traffic annually. However, there are many options you can choose from to commute throughout Austin. Choosing to live close to a speedy or high-frequency transit line that links you to jobs, colleges, or entertainment can make your life a little easier and save you time and money. A local real estate agent can help you decide which area of town is best for you based on your specific situation and needs.
The summers are warm and harsh in Austin; the winters are brief, windy, and cold. Commonly, the temp ranges from 43 ° F to 97 ° F over the year and is seldom below 30 ° F or above 102 ° F. The hot season usually lasts for 3.5 months, and over 300 sunny days, to flaunt that perfect tan, Austin is the ideal place. Moreover, spring and fall provide the right balance between the bright sky and gentle climates. Austin is a city filled with outdoor activities and destinations where you can enjoy the weather. Check out our article Five Swimming Holes to Beat the Heat in Austin, Texas.
Education has always been a top priority for the people of Austin. Due to the city’s focus on education, Austin ranks on the top of the “smartest cities list’.
In all of Texas, Austin has some of the best schools, such as Eanes Independent School District (Ranked 2nd). Lake Travis Independent School District (Ranked 6th) and Leander Independent School District (Ranked 15th). If schools are a priority in your relocation, make sure to work with a local realtor who can help you decide which school tract is best for you and your family.
Best neighborhoods to live in Austin
Austin is continuously declared as one of the top 10 best places to reside in the USA, and it is justified:
- Mueller: It is a trendy neighborhood situated in East Austin, 4 miles away from Downtown. The community holds stunning natural-growth lake parks, chain, and local vendors, offices, and neighborhood community centers. Mueller includes a combination of lofts, houses, townhouses, and flats that make the location eye-catching to many different buyers and renters. Moreover, many restaurants and museums are located nearby.
- Circle C Ranch: This neighborhood is located in Southwest Austin alongside Mopac and Escarpment Blvd. The Circle C Ranch has over 4,000 homes and offers extravagance living in many distinct, private developments. Inhabitants have entree to many community facilities, numerous hike and bike trails and the remarkable Grey Rock Golf Club. Moreover, there are five elementary schools, two middle schools, and one high school all within the community radius.
- Tarrytown: This highly desirable neighborhood has quiet streets, excellent schools, beautiful houses, lake access, lovely parks, and mature trees, all inside a 3-mile drive of Downtown. The delightful Tarrytown comprises home styles reaching from the exclusive late 1930s and early 1940s structures to a luxury new architecture. Tarrytown also lines popular, unique eateries and coffee shops that add value to the neighborhood’s marvelous atmosphere.
- Avery Ranch: Just 20 miles from north of Downtown Austin, this well-handled and well-maintained area lies within a peaceful and shaped location. Avery Ranch serves the perfect amalgamation of Hill Country scenery and award-winning schools.
- Belterra: It is a family-friendly society, situated just 7 miles from the small town of Dripping Springs and 17 miles away from Downtown Austin.
Our relocation specialists are experienced and knowledgable about the neighborhoods of Austin and can help you choose which neighborhood is best for you.
Food in Austin
Austin is known for its amazing food scene! The city lies at the epicenter of greasy foothold of Tex-Mex and barbecue. Austin welcomes new restaurants on a daily basis as the costs of doing business are relatively low while the crowds of food lovers offer them a great bounty.
Land of Tacos, BBQ, & Food Trucks:
While food trucks seem to pop up in most places, the city is known best for its abundant supply of BBQ and tacos. There are numerous local taco joints to survey around town. Some even started as local food trucks and have outgrown Austin, and Texas branching out to other states. Meanwhile, many local eateries strive to source their food locally.
- Culture: The city offers a wide range of patio-friendly and ranch style options when it comes to restaurants with an Austin spirit! Check out our article Top 10 Patios in Austin, Texas.
- Breakfast Tacos: Different food trucks and restaurants bring amazing egg-filled tortillas and tacos that will keep you coming back!
- Some Foreign Taste: Austin has welcomed many foreign restaurants ranging from asian, classical middle eastern, south american, european, and also exotic cuisines.
Fun things to do in Austin
On a rainy day, you can always head to the multiple museums around Austin, these museums are some of the coolest in the world. We’ve listed just a couple below.
- LBJ Presidential Library and Museum: This museum is named after the 36th president of the US, Lyndon Baines Johnson. It represents the dynamic time in US history from the 1960s
- The Blanton Museum of Art: If you’re an artist from the heart, and have the eye to appreciate the depth of art, this place is for you. The artwork exhibited here ranges from ancient to modern times; the cherry on the top is free entry on Thursdays.
Theatres: if you’re not eating – go to a theatre
- The Moody Theater: The Moody Theater hosts diverse performers, from Belle & Sebastian to ZZ Top.
- Paramount Theatre: The Paramount Theatre is a live theatre situated in downtown Austin, Texas. The traditional revival style structure was built in 1915. The construction was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Texas State Capitol: The Texas Capitol is mostly known as one of the nation’s most popular state capitols. It was noted on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1986.
There are some fantastic activities in Austin, Texas that you can enjoy with your whole family
- Going Underground: Even though people may not associate Austin with caves, but there are many caves found in Austin. You can explore these caves and discover the undiscovered.
- Lady Bird Lake: The cool water lake may be a calming on a hot, sunny day. There is a 10 miles loop hike and bike trail the followers the rivers edge and is a favorite spot to exercise or enjoy a walk with good company.
- Stargazing at Pedernales Falls State Park: it holds beautiful waterfalls alongside layers of stunning limestone. The park has minimal light from around the surrounding areas and most times you can catch sight of the Milky Way; a view that cannot be easily forgotten.
- Mount Bonnell: is a famous destination alongside Lake Austin segment of the Colorado River in Austin, Texas. It has been a renowned tourist destination since the 1850s due to its amazing views of Lake Austin in one direction and the downtown skyline in the other direction.
- Barton Springs Municipal Pool: It is an entertaining outdoor swimming pool that is filled with water from neighboring natural springs, it’s also home to the New Year’s custom the “polar bear plunge.”
Festivals, events, and art shows in Austin:
- Austin City Limits Music Festival: it is a yearly music festival taking place in Zilker Park in Austin, Texas on two succeeding three-day weekends. Influenced by the KLRU/PBS music series of the same title, the event draws in large attendance numbers and incredible music acts and artists.
- Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Festival: This festival is the world’s largest hot sauce festival, alongside the food, it also offers music and entertainment.
- Wizard World: In the Austin comic con, you’ll find– Movies, Comics, Toys, Video Gaming, Games, TV, Anime, Manga, Horror, Wrestling, MMA, Original Art, and Collectibles & More!
- Fantastic Fest: It is the largest film festival in the use, specializing in genres such as sci-fi, horror, action, etc. The fest is put on by Alamo Drafthouse a local cinema company known for maintaining proper cinemagoing etiquette and fantastic server-to-seat food and drink.
- South by Southwest (SXSW): A yearly combination of films, tech, collaborating media, and music festivals and conferences that take place in March in Austin. The confrences and festivals flood the city with official and non-official events which bring visitors and attendees from all over the world. In 2018 the economic impact of SXSW was over $350M, compared to $370M economic impact of Super Bowl LII in Minnesota.
- F1: If you are fond of super-fast cars, then Austin is the right place for you. Home to the top tier, 3.427-mile racing track and facilities, Austin offers great thrill and excitement by hosting racing events every year. This event is well known as an essential destination for music and racing enthusiasts.
Sports fans can find many sports to appreciate in Austin, Texas, such as minor league baseball, basketball, and hockey. Apart from that, the University of Texas offers a variety of top tier sports programs which keeps the city years ahead in terms of sporting prowess. These programs currently cover more than 11 sports and offer great training and support to athletes from all over the country. Similarly, the different sports facilities at the University of Texas play a major role in grooming the future athletes.
Moreover, Major League Soccer (MLS) has officially announced Austin as its 27th franchise. Austin FC shall start playing in 2021.
Some of the other best teams in Austin are:
- Texas stars (hockey team)
- Austin Spurs (basketball team)
- Texas Rollergirls (flat-track roller)
- Round Rock Express Baseball Club (baseball team)
Moving to Austin
When moving to Austin it’s important to have a local in your corner. Our experienced real estate relocation specialists have extensive knowledge of the Austin real estate market, both sales and rentals. If you are relocating to Austin and will be buying a home please fill out the form below. If you are moving to Austin and will be leasing an apartment or home please fill out our Apartment & Rental Home Form.